If the relationship you have with your employees is strong, you already have the basics of a good employee referral program. Best of all, when you maximize the loyalty employees have towards you, everyone associated with the referral program can be a winner.
Starting a Referral Program
Rewards to employees who refer staff who are ultimately hired don’t have to be expensive, but they should be interesting. They also should be designed to encourage participation on the part of all employees. Here are some great tips and proven methods for launching your own program:
- Be sure every employee knows how to participate and the rewards available to them if they refer a candidate who is eventually hired.
- Teach employees your policies around recruitment; remind employees of the traits that make them great hires and encourage them to look for those same traits or skills in others. You could print business cards for employees to carry with them that include the contact number of your hiring manager’s office. Leave a blank line for the employee to fill in his or her name on this same card so that the applicant can use it as an “ice breaker” at the interview.
- Apple recently introduced an employee referral program for its retail stores. Apple printed cards for staff that said on one side “You’re amazing. We should talk.” On the other side, it said, “I work for the Apple Store, and you’re exactly the kind of person we’d like to talk to. If you’re happy where you are, I’d never ask you to leave. But if you’re thinking about a change, give me a call. This could be the start of something great.” This program has seen great success over time.
- Devote a section of your website to the benefits of working at your organization. This can be a valuable reference for both employees and for potential referrals who will almost surely scan your website before applying for an opening.
- Help employees spread the news of job openings on their social media accounts and offer suggestions of ways to do this in positive, professional ways.
Make Flexibility Work for You
Rewards can be offered in various ways. Rewards might be payable in stages or payable once the new hire has completed a probationary period. While many would like a cash reward, others might prefer time off, a paid travel voucher or educational benefits.
Contact Salem When Hiring is Your Goal
At Salem Solutions, we are here to work for you. We know the value that the right hiring fit brings to your business. If you have questions about our services contact us today, or call us at (866) 80-SALEM.